Founded in 1814, Belleville, Illinois, celebrated its 200th Anniversary during 2014. Thanks to George Blair and his donation of one acre of land on March 10, 1814 for a Public Square, the county seat of St. Clair County was moved from Cahokia to the more centrally located settlement. Mr. Blair was given the honor of naming the town and county seat, and on August 8, 1814, the court of St. Clair County recognized the name he had chosen which was Belleville; a French word meaning beautiful city.
Source: The Pioneer History of Illinois by John Reynolds
A New Logo for Belleville
Belleville's current logo was adopted by the City Council on September 7, 2021. The new logo features a colorful, abstract image of the Veterans Memorial Fountain that is located in Belleville's public square. The logo represents a city that is progressive and moving forward in a positive direction.
Past City Logos
Prior to the logo that was approved in 2021, this version of City's logo was adopted by the City Council on May 1, 2017.
Prior to that, in July of 2013, the City Council had officially adopted a new logo that was designed by the Belleville 200 Committee to commemorate the City's 200th Anniversary.
Both the 2013 and 2017 versions of the city's logo included: Colors from the Belleville flag; black, yellow, green and white The year Belleville was founded; 1814 Founts of water; representing the impressive and historic Veterans Memorial Fountain in the city's Public Square The post horn; symbolizing the heritage of the area's pioneers who were mostly German, and the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra, the second oldest continuous performing orchestra in the nation.
Flag of the City of Belleville
Belleville's City Flag was adopted in 1964. The flag design was created by Frederick L. Lange and entered into a contest to create a city flag. Mr. Lange's design was chosen as the winning entry. The contest was sponsored by Belleville Carling Brewery Company in cooperation with the Belleville Chamber of Commerce as a part of the Sesquicentennial Year Program in 1964.