The mission statement of the Belleville Fire Department is to provide:
Hazardous Material Mitigation
for the community, to provide the highest level of service possible for the level of resources provided to the department; to be highly trained and physically fit; to protect and service the community.
Belleville's first fire department was organized in 1841 as a volunteer department with two fire stations. By 1878, the city council authorized a pay schedule for its firefighters. In 1918, Belleville's firefighters unionized and became charter members of the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF). Belleville Firefighters Local 53, as a charter member of the IAFF, is very active in the community and surrounding area.
By the 1920's, Belleville was a growing community with two engine houses. In 1932, a third engine house was opened in the west end of Belleville at 6200 W. Main Street. This engine house gave the city three strategically located engine houses with thirty-three firefighters in the department. A fourth engine house was opened on January 12, 2009 to keep up with the increasing population and growth of the city.
In the 1950's, The Belleville Fire Department had changed its work week from a 72 hour week to a 56 hour week. In 1971, the department changed to a 42 hour work week.