What is carbon monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste, or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware that it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health, and the concentration and length of exposure.

Show All Answers

1. What is carbon monoxide (CO)?
2. Where does carbon monoxide come from?
3. Who is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning?
4. What actions do I take if my carbon monoxide detector goes off?