Economic Development, Planning & Zoning
The Economic Development, Planning and Zoning Department strives to provide excellent service to businesses and residents alike, in an effort to promote the City's continued growth and development. The department handles tasks in the following areas:
- Business Assistance Programs
- Belleville Enterprise Zone Program: The Enterprise Zone program includes a sales tax exemption on building materials and a potential property tax abatement.
- Belleville TIF Assistance Program: Tax Increment Financing incentives can include incremental property tax rebates and reimbursements on TIF eligible expenses, including facade improvements.
- Review of subdivision plats and lot splits
- Zoning administration
- View the complete Zoning Code in Chapter 162: Zoning of the City's Code of Ordinances.
- Comprehensive planning
- Site plan review (residential and commercial)
- Geographic information system (GIS) development and administration
- Commercial Occupancy Permits
- Business retention
- Grant writing and administration
The Economic Development, Planning and Zoning Department also works closely with the Health, Housing and Building Department and the Community Development Department to ensure a team approach to addressing development issues and opportunities.
The Department also serves as a liaison to the following boards, committees, and commissions:
- Zoning Board of Appeals
- Economic Development and Annexation Committee
- Planning Commission
- Downtown Development/Redevelopment Commission
- Historic Preservation Commission
- West End Promotional Committee (Chamber of Commerce)
- Government Affairs Committee (Chamber of Commerce)
- Belle Scott Committee (Chamber of Commerce)